This is from the http://social.technet.microsoft.com forum.
Posted by NADER ZAVERI
You wouldn't even need to do a roll back of the sytem. Here is what you need to do.
1. Boot the computer into the “Safe Mode” options by pressing F8 prior the Windows Logo.
2. Select the option “Repair Your Computer”
Note: If you do not have this option, you will need the client’s Windows Disc. Once you have that disc, boot into it as if you were to install windows and after you select the language you will get the “Repair Your Computer” option.
3. Now you can get into Command Prompt
4. From the Command Prompt window, navigate to \Windows\winsxs folder
5. Then type: rename pending.xml to pending.old.xml
6. Now reboot the PC, you might still see the configuring updates, but this time it will go away.
And walaa, there you go, problem fixed.
Indeed, THANK YOU!